Perth Art Gallery in George Street

The original Perth Museum was built in 1822-1824. This imposing building at 78 George Street was required to house the amalgamation of the Marshall Monument collection with that of the PSNS. It was known for many years as Perth Art Gallery and Museum. On opening the new Perth Museum in the former City Hall in 2024, this building became Perth Art Gallery. Also at this time the J D Fergusson art collection was moved from its previous home in Perth Waterworks to this building. The previous Perth Art Gallery which had previously been sited on the top floor of the Sandeman Library was included to form the Perth Art Gallery and Museum. The statue is of Thomas Hay Marshall who as Lord Provost did much to shape Perth as it is to-day stands in the rotunda. The plaque provides details of the date of the official opening of the extension to the Art Gallery and Museum and other relevant information.

4 Comments

Thomas Hay Marshall

Thomas Hay Marshall (1770-1808) and his father-in-law Thomas Anderson, who owned the previous Blackfriars lands, were responsible for the construction of much of Georgian Perth. The construction included the building of Atholl Crescent and Street, Marshall Place and the first steps in the development of Tay Street. Rose Terrace was built on land donated by Hay Marshall. The Old Academy at its centre was built using funds raised by private subscription. Thomas Hay Marshall was Lord Provost in 1800 to 1802 and again from 1804 to 1806. During this time, he was able to upgrade the status of Provost to Lord Provost to reflect the ancient importance of the city. His statue, sculpted by the Cochrane brothers of Perth, stands inside the pillars of the dome at Perth Art Gallery. Confusingly it was a different Thomas Hay Marshall (1807-1882) who later wrote a heavy tome on the history of Perth published in 1849, a book which we have used extensively in this web site.

4 Comments
Close Menu