Charles I visit to Perth in 1633

King Charles I ascended to the English throne in 1625 and was crowned in England that year. However, the Scots insisted that he should also be crowned in his northern kingdom. The ceremony took place in Edinburgh, at the Palace of Holyrood House, on 18 June 1633, amid an elaborate and extravagant royal tour. This tour included a visit to Perth, commemorated in this stone plaque in the flood defence wall in Tay Street. It recounts that he was entertained by members of the Glover Incorporation performing a sword dance on a wooden platform moored on the River Tay.


The Monks Tower

One of the carved alcoves in the flood defence wall on Tay Street tells of the Monks Tower. The Monks Tower was situated in the south-east corner of the gardens of Gowrie House and jutted out over the river. The tower acted as a lookout post, working in tandem with the Spey Tower to defend the southern approaches to Perth. The Tower later served as an ammunition store prior while Gowrie House was being used as a barracks prior to its demolition at the end of the 18th century.


The Gowrie House and Conspiracy

The large plaque on the front of the Sherriff Court in Tay Street records the events of the 5th August 1600 when an attempt was made on the life of James VI. The Gowrie House was built in 1520 by the Countess of Huntly who later sold it to the Ruthven family. After the Gowrie conspiracy the Ruthven family, who were considered responsible for the attack on the king, forfeited the building which was then held jointly by the Murrays of Stormont and Perth Town Council. Charles II stayed in Gowrie House after his Scottish coronation in Scone in 1651…


Aschaffenburg plaque outside 2 High Street

A circular metal plaque has been set in the pavement outside the main entrance to the Council Headquarters at 2 High St. It bears the coat of arms of Aschaffenburg. Perth was twinned with Aschaffenburg in 1956. Aschaffenburg has a population of 70,000, it stands on both sides of the River Main in Bavaria in south-west Germany. On the flood wall in Tay Street the twinning is commemorated by a stone plaque with the coat of arms of Aschaffenburg.


Former Council Offices, Police Station and Tolbooth

This historic site occupies the corner of the High Street and Tay Street. The entrance doorway of the old Perth Town Council Administrative Offices is on Tay Street. There is no plaque there at present, though doubtlessly one will appear in due course. The old police station, on Tay Street, was built in 1879 as part of the Perth Town Council Administrative Offices on the site of the Old Tolbooth. Above the doorway is the inscription setting out what would now be described as the mission statement of a police force. The text was originally on the medieval tolbooth.


Water Vennel

Water Vennel runs from the Watergate down to Tay Street. A small plaque near its junction with Tay Street tells of its importance and gives some history of the Gowrie House whose northern boundary was formed by Water Vennel. This was an important access to the river when Gowrie House and its gardens  blocked so much of the river frontage.


Perth Harbours

On Tay Street just south of Queen's Bridge and opposite the Sherriff Court is Panel 1 of the Medieval Trail which explains how Perth has been a ‘Perfect Location’ since at least medieval times. This replaced an earlier information board entitled 'Harbours of Perth' also pictured. In Medieval times the harbour was approximately where the aptly named Quayside Court housing complex now stands. The channel corresponds to where Canal Street now runs.


Bridges of Perth – Tay Street plaques

A modern notice board on Tay Street outlines the history of the Bridges of Perth. It is Panel 3 of the Perth Medieval Trail entitled Crossing the Tay and replaces an earlier board (also pictured). A little further south along Tay Street is another board (Panel 2) entitled Soggy Feet which explains changes in the ground level of Tay Street over history. 

  • 1
  • 2
Close Menu