John Buchan is remembered in two identical plaques created by Kenny Munro supported by ScotRail. There is also a bust of John Buchan.
Also known as the Nunnery of St Leonard the Abbot, this nunnery first recorded in 1411 was occupied by both nuns and monks. When the Carthusian Monastery was established in 1429, it suppressed the nunnery. The lands of the nunnery were conferred on the Carthusian Monastery who continued the chapel under its patronage. Following the dissolution of the monasteries the lands were acquired many years later by the Glover Corporation. The plaque showing the site of this nunnery is on the old Salmon Fisheries Building on St. Leonard’s Bank. The land is now much changed due to the construction of…
Outside the main entrance there are two plaques recording the awards given to the station for the high standard of work achieved in its restoration in 1985 and further upgrading in 1992.
A large destination board dating from 1855, showing “Perth” as you enter the station from the north.
William Downie’s 2006 retiral plaque is on platform 5. He is described as being the last of the “time served locking fitters” showing how the skills needed by railway employees had changed.
Perth Station even has a Secret Garden located to the left of the main entrance, on platform 2 and 3/4(!). It is run by the volunteers of Perth Station Garden Club – see their Facebook page.
Located on platform 5 just outside the ticket barrier. The memorial records those employees of the Perth General Station Joint Staff who perished in World War 1.
Large ornate clocks are prominent on platforms 4 and 5. These are the original clocks made by J.A. Ritchie of Edinburgh who was also responsible for the floral clock in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh.
The railway bridge over King’s Place is dated 1849 which is also the date of first wooden bridge over the Tay allowing the completion of the line to Dundee. The railway bridges over King Street and Princes Street have explanatory information boards on the street underneath.