Town and County Bank

Now a cosmetic dentistry centre, the building at 31 South Methven Street at its western corner with High Street was formerly the Town and County Bank and bears its crest. The building was erected in 1888-1889 at a time when much of central Perth was being redeveloped. The Bank's main office was in Aberdeen. After a series of takeovers the Town and County Bank became part of the Clydesdale Bank. Gifford reports the in the triangle between the arched door, the wall and ceiling there are two men with moustaches which merge into fruit.


Building at 25 St John Street

According to a plaque beside the left entrance, the building at 25 St John Street, erected between 1846-1847 in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzi, was designed by David Rhind, (1808-1883), a pupil of Pugin. Pugin worked with Barry on the design, construction and internal furnishings  of the Palace of Westminster. It was originally the local headquarters of the Central Bank, then the main Perth branch of the Bank of Scotland and most recently Lakeland. Rhind is responsible for a building of a similar design on the corner of South Street and Princes Street. The building currently houses a…


Capital Asset in Tay Street

The building at number 26 Tay Street, built in 1874 to a design by Andrew Heiton Jnr, is now occupied by the Capital Asset, a Wetherspoon pub. Formerly it was the Trustee Savings Bank. The presence of the City of Perth Coat of Arms on the wall outside is a reminder of the local  nature of the early bank, before various amalgamations resulted in it becoming part of a nationwide organisation. Trustee Saving Banks were set up on democratic and philanthropic principles and overseen by trustees appointed from the locality. Due to a number of bank failures, after 1871 Trustee…

Close Menu