Fleshers Guild building in South Street

This Fleshers Guild sign is on a building in South Street (on its south side facing Fleshers’ Vennel). The Fleshers Guild erected the building in 1889 and used the hall until the 1920’s. The building replaced the Flesher’s Incorporation abattoir which previously stood on the site. This area of the South street had since Medieval times been the part of Perth used by the Fleshers both to slaughter animals and to sell meat in the market. (Perth, Street by Street, Paul Philippou). Meat and other commodities were traded on prescribed days and rules were strictly enforced. They held their market…


Fountain Close, the Vennels of South Street

Fountain Close is at 17 South Street on its north side. Until 2022, painted on the whitewashed walls were 14 descriptions of the old vennels of Perth and their relationship to the old Guilds of Perth with emblems of the Guilds. The descriptions were painted directly on to the walls. It is believed the images were painted by pupils of Kinnoull School under the guidance of Miss Rhoda Fothergill. They have now all been whitewashed over as can be seen in the first photo. The remainder of the photographs were taken in 2018 and 2019. Also shown is part of a…


St Ann’s Lane and Chapel

A small green plaque at the South Street entrance to St. Anne’s Lane which runs north to St John’s Kirk tells the history of this ancient Kirk Vennel. It passed in part through the medieval graveyard next to the Chapel of St. Ann, which held a number of altars dedicated to the Mother of the Virgin. The chapel acted as a hospital for travellers and the poor. The chapel was in existence in 1514 when prayers were said every Tuesday for the soul of James VI who fell at Flodden the previous year. (Marshall T. H., The History of Perth:…

1 Comment

Perth Grammar School

The modern Perth Grammar School in Muirton has existed since 1971 but was not the first school to bear that name. A plaque high on the north side of South Street at its junction with Princes Street outlines a small part of the history of the original Perth Grammar School. The first recorded evidence of the school is in a charter of 1150. Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews together with a number of his successors confirm the presence of the school as part of the organisation of the church. By 1560 the Town Council, together with the reformed church had…


South Port marker in South Street

This ring of metal markers in South Street at its junction with South Methven Street marks the site of the South Street Port, one of the historic routes though the medieval town defences. From the South Street Port, one could proceed down Hospital Street, into St Leonard’s Street, down into Craigie, and on to Edinburgh. This route was blocked by the 19th-century insertion of the railway. The present County Place, York Place and Glasgow Road is a nineteenth-century insertion. The present Princes Street and Edinburgh Road is an 18th-century insertion. This is clearer on Rutherford’s map of 1774. The metal markers also indicate the site of The Necessary, a circular cast-iron public convenience built directly over the Canal Crescent branch of the town lade, which continued the line of the town’s defensive ditch as a stone culvert. The culvert still exists underground. The Necessary appears on a number of early photographs of Perth, but was taken away as an obstruction to traffic, and perhaps also as an offence to public decency. [information supplied by David Bowler, PSNS]

Close Menu