Mathew Gloag Building in Kinnoull Street

This building at the corner of Kinnoull Street and Mill Street is currently occupied by the Bothy Restaurant. An ornate inscription above the upper floor establishes the date of construction as 1907. This is yet another example of the considerable building taking place in Perth at the turn of the century. The business of William B. Gloag actually began in 1814. (Hunter, T., Perth Weaving and Weavers, 1936) The inscription bears a bunch of grapes confirming that Gloag was a wine merchant, which must reflect on the wealth of the city at that time. Gloags later became famous for Grouse Whisky.


Pullar House

Pullar House at numbers 35-49 Kinnoull Street and occupying much of Mill Street as well, contains the offices of Perth and Kinross Council. Before conversion in 1999/2000 this building was Pullars of Perth, an extensive dyeworks owned by the Pullar family. A plaque commemorating the Jubilee in 1898 of the service of Sir Robert Pullar, son of the founder of the business. The business was founded in Burt Close in 1824. A second plaque records those employees who lost their lives in the two wars. This is another example of businesses recording the names of fallen colleagues as also did…



In medieval times Skinnergate was the main thoroughfare into Perth from the North. Many of the crafts and trades associated with Perth were established there just inside the burgh walls, most notably those associated with leather like the Glovers Incorporation founded in 1210. An information board entitled Perth – A Craftis Toun can be found on Mill Street at the north end of Skinnergate. This is number 5 in the Perth Medieval Trail.

Close Menu