A notice board suggests an Old Ship Inn has been on this site in the Skinnergate since Medieval times. The present building is described by Gifford as late-Victorian. The Inn was close to the Old Mercat Cross where presumably there were lots of customers on market days. The building also displays a series of boards showing mock newspaper headlines relating to events occurring within the life-time of the public house.
A stone plaque in the roadway of the High Street near its junction with Skinnergate marks the site of the Old Mercat Cross. A modern information board close-by describes the various markets held over the centuries. This is Panel 6 of the Perth Medieval Trail which replaced an earlier board (also pictured below). Further details of markets and trades are recorded on Panel 8 at St John’s Kirk. The original cross was demolished by Cromwell’s engineers to provide stones for his citadel. It was re-instated in 1669 and this replacement demolished in 1765. It was here in 1746 that Charles…
In medieval times Skinnergate was the main thoroughfare into Perth from the North. Many of the crafts and trades associated with Perth were established there just inside the burgh walls, most notably those associated with leather like the Glovers Incorporation founded in 1210. An information board entitled Perth – A Craftis Toun can be found on Mill Street at the north end of Skinnergate. This is number 5 in the Perth Medieval Trail.
Skinnergate House was previous called The Model Lodging Home for single men with no other accommodation. The restoration by the Salvation Army was assisted by funds provided by the Gannochy, Forteviot and Thomson Trusts with a contribution from Scottish Homes and the Department of Social Security.