Pomarium Street Playground

A rather sad plaque on a large boulder on some waste ground between the Pomarium Street flats and Perth Bus Station reminds us that this was once a children's playground. Funded by the Forteviot Trust, it was opened in 1968 by Lord Forteviot, but the equipment was removed in the 1990s. For many years it became an unofficial free car park until Perth and Kinross Council fenced it off with bollards in 2012. See press coverage from 2012: Window of opportunity closes on free spaces in Perth - Daily Record It is now reverting to nature.

0 Comments

York Corner

This building is at the western corner of York Place and New Row and comprises 1-9 York Place and 41-45 New Row. It is a 4-storey grade B listed corner block built in1906/7 (George Penrose Kennedy Young), which features detailed carvings and signage typical of the John James Burnet Edwardian Baroque architectural movement. (Perth: Street by Street).

0 Comments

Queen’s Barracks on Caledonian Road

This plinth on Caledonian Road stands beside the path to Black Watch Gardens and opposite Barrack Street / Dunkeld Road. It bears the crest of the Black Watch Regiment and an information board which tells the history of the Queen's Barracks from its beginnings in 1831 until the regiment moved to modern barracks in Dunkeld Road. In 2006 the Black Watch were integrated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland. See also Black Watch Castle and Museum.

0 Comments

Charles I visit to Perth in 1633

King Charles I ascended to the English throne in 1625 and was crowned in England that year. However, the Scots insisted that he should also be crowned in his northern kingdom. The ceremony took place in Edinburgh, at the Palace of Holyrood House, on 18 June 1633, amid an elaborate and extravagant royal tour. This tour included a visit to Perth, commemorated in this stone plaque in the flood defence wall in Tay Street. It recounts that he was entertained by members of the Glover Incorporation performing a sword dance on a wooden platform moored on the River Tay.

0 Comments

Town and County Bank

Now a cosmetic dentistry centre, the building at 31 South Methven Street at its western corner with High Street was formerly the Town and County Bank and bears its crest. The building was erected in 1888-1889 at a time when much of central Perth was being redeveloped. The Bank's main office was in Aberdeen. After a series of takeovers the Town and County Bank became part of the Clydesdale Bank. Gifford reports the in the triangle between the arched door, the wall and ceiling there are two men with moustaches which merge into fruit.

0 Comments

Railway Station platform 7 plaque

A recently placed plaque on platform 7 tells of the past importance of Perth as a railway hub and how it came to be designed in 1848. Major alterations then took place in 1885-7 and 1911. We are unsure who commissioned or produced this plaque. If you know please let us know in the comments box below. Perth and Kinross Archive published a Facebook post on 7th Dec 2023 with photos revealing just how impressive the original Tudoresque main building looked, and how it was partially obscured by the later 1880s additions. As the metal roof of this later part…

0 Comments

Pillory

The site of the old Pillory is marked by this stone marker at the foot of the High Street near the River Tay. It is reported to have fallen out of use by 1786. It was situated close to the city tollbooth, the local prison presumably in order to detain prisoners before being taken to the platform on which the pillory was mounted and being secured into it. . (Penny’s Tradition of Perth. 1836).

0 Comments

Threipland House on Dundee Road

A small low plaque in the front garden just opposite the entrance to the Rodney Gardens car park describes the history of the house and some small details of the Threipland family, particularly their Jacobite sympathies. Sir David Threipland fled to France after the “1715” with 100 others. He forfeited his estates which were only restored to the family when his son purchased them from the crown in 1782.

0 Comments
Close Menu