The site of the old Pillory is marked by this stone marker at the foot of the High Street near the River Tay.

It is reported to have fallen out of use by 1786. It was situated close to the city tollbooth, the local prison presumably in order to detain prisoners before being taken to the platform on which the pillory was mounted and being secured into it. . (Penny’s Tradition of Perth. 1836).

Leave a Reply

Close Menu