St Andrews Church War Memorials

St Andrews Church at 19 Atholl Street is a former church building completed in 1885. The architects were Andrew Heiton and Andrew Grainger Heiton. At one point around 2020 it was scheduled for demolition but it has now been renovated and repurposed as the new YMCA Centre for Perth. A new plaque commemorates the opening of the Y Centre by Princess Anne on November 13th 2024. Two war memorials were photographed by PCT when they were under threat due to deterioration of the building. One is a record of the members of the congregation who fell in the war. It has been carefully re-sited in an alcove not far from its original position. The other remembers a former minister of the church who died at Salonica on 3rd October 1918, while serving as chaplain to the 12th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It has been placed in storage.

0 Comments

Whitefriars Monastery

A plaque on a pillar in the boundary wall of Jeanfield Cemetery on Jeanfield Road near the corner of Feus Road relates to the lands across the road where once stood the Monastery of Tullylumb, founded by Alexander III c 1155 and occupied by Carmelite Friars. The Carmelites, are known as the “White Friars” The Carmelites, when founded were as a purely contemplative order, but became mendicants in 1245. Mendicants were Christian religious orders who adopted a lifestyle of poverty, travelling, and living in urban areas for purposes of preaching, evangelisation, and ministry, especially to the poor. At their foundation these orders rejected all previously established monastic model.

0 Comments

St John’s Kirk

On the East Wall in St John Street is a plaque recording that King David granted the Church of St. John the Baptist in Perth to Dunfermline Abbey in 1126 under whose auspices Perth fell at that time. In 2020 the Association of Perth Veterans War Memorial was placed in front of this plaque. Outside the Kirk are two modern information boards. Earlier versions pictured here were initiated and funded by Perth Partnership, but these were replaced in 2021 by Panels 7 and 8 of the new Perth Medieval Trail created by Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust in conjunction with Perth and Kinross Council. Panel 8 has disappeared recently. Panel 7, entitled St John’s Town, deals with the history of the Kirk, explaining its environs in the Middle Ages and later. It describes the Kirk’s place in Scottish history from its founding, through the Reformation and into the modern period. Panel 8, entitled Trades of Perth, explains the medieval origins of Perth’s manufacturing industries. Robert Lorimer carried out a restoration to transform of the Kirk into a War Memorial to the dead of Perth and Perthshire following the Great War 1914 – 1918.

0 Comments

St Ann’s Lane and Chapel

A small green plaque at the South Street entrance to St. Anne’s Lane which runs north to St John’s Kirk tells the history of this ancient Kirk Vennel. It passed in part through the medieval graveyard next to the Chapel of St. Ann, which held a number of altars dedicated to the Mother of the Virgin. The chapel acted as a hospital for travellers and the poor. The chapel was in existence in 1514 when prayers were said every Tuesday for the soul of James IV who fell at Flodden the previous year. (Marshall T. H., The History of Perth: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time, 1849 pp381-382) The site was later occupied by the original Perth Grammar School. In 1810 the school became a theatre which operated from 1810-1819 but burned down in 1823. The lane later contained the Champion Inn with stabling for four horses. The Perthshire Constitution and Journal was published in the lane from 1835-1948.

1 Comment
  • 1
  • 2
Close Menu