Thomas Hay Marshall
Thomas Hay Marshall and his father-in-law Thomas Anderson, who owned the previous Blackfriars lands, were responsible for the construction of much of Georgian Perth. The construction included the building of Atholl Crescent and Street, Marshall Place and the first steps in the development of Tay Street.
Rose Terrace was built on land donated by Hay Marshall. The Old Academy at its centre was built using funds raised by private subscription.
Thomas Hay Marshall was Lord Provost in 1800 to 1802 and again from 1804 to 1806. During this time, he was able to upgrade the status of Provost to Lord Provost to reflect the ancient importance of the city.
Thomas Hay Marshall also wrote a heavy tome on the history of Perth which I have used extensively in this exercise.
A series of plaques to commemorate the establishment of the library in 1898.
Among them is a plaque dedicated to the founder Archibald Sandeman (1922-1893) Professor of Mathematics at Owens College, Manchester.
The Sandeman room in the A.K, Bell library is so named in his memory.
A second plaque includes details of benefactors including Andrew Carnegie and Lord Forteviot both of whom gave books, not cash. Other Scots emigrates who made donations are named.
Robert Pullar of Pullars Of Perth
Plaques commemorating Robert Pullar can be seen at the entrance to Pullar House on Kinnoull Street. In 1902, Robert Pullar gave funds to fit out a building in the Watergate as a refuge for destitute women.
Plaques within Perth Royal Infirmary
A plaque records the gifting of a large portion of his estate to Perth Royal Infirmary by John Graham of Tippermalo, Methven in 1922. A second plaque records a similar gift by Robert Douglas in 1932 which was used to create wards in the hospital known as “The Douglas Wards”. Robert Douglas, a native of Scone was a resident of Rochester, New York.
These gifts were donated before the advent of the National Health Service when the Infirmary must have been dependent on public benefactors.
A plaque records the services of Sir Francis Norie-Miller as Chairman of the Directors of the Infirmary. Perhaps this administrative arrangement might indicate the Infirmary was run on partially business-like grounds before the creation of the NHS.
Norie-Miller Riverside Walk
In May 1971 the walk within the parkland was presented and gifted to Perth, for the use and pleasure of the citizens, by the directors and staff of The General Accident in recognition of Sir Stanley Norie-Miller’s contribution to the life of the city of Perth. A plaque on Queen’s Bridge commemorates this event. Within the park there is a plaque concerning a Civic Trust Award in 1972. At the car park entrance on Riverside there is a relief bust of Sir Stanley Norie-Millar on the wall and inset into the pavement is a plaque remembering Aonghais MacDonald of General Accident who inspired the walk and gardens.
Robert Douglas Memorial Park
The park was set out and equipped by funds provided by the Robert Douglas Trust.
The land was donated by Charles Hutchison, described as a local benefactor. The park was opened in 1931 by the widow of Robert Douglas.
Three plaques associated with the donations given to refurbish the property, and an award to mark the quality of the work.
Skinnergate House was previous called The Model Lodging Home for single men with no other accommodation.
The restoration by the Salvation Army was assisted by funds provided by the Gannochy, Forteviot and Thomson Trusts with a contribution from Scottish Homes and the Department of Social Security.